We are pleased that you are interested in studying at Landshut University of Applied Sciences. The following information is intended to help you find out in advance about how to apply, admission and the conditions of study at the university.

You are also welcome to find out about Landshut itself, which is an excellent place in which to study.

Visa and residence permit

Difference between a visa and a residence permit

A visa is a permit that allows you to enter Germany.
It is issued by German embassies and consulates all over the world. Anyone who intends to stay in Germany for longer than three months in order to study or work must apply for the correct visa. The type of visa always depends on the purpose of the stay (student visa §16). 

A residence permit is a permit allowing you to stay in Germany for a particular purpose. This permit is issued by the local immigration authorities and must be applied for within three months of arrival.
An extension to the residence permit should be applied for at least one month before it expires.
If the purpose of the stay or place of residence in Germany changes, then a change to the residence permit must also be applied for. 

Visa procedures for international students

When you have received your admission letter from the University of Applied Sciences Landshut, then you may apply to the relevant German embassy for a student visa. 

USA: For citizens of the United States of America (including the American Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico) there is no visa requirement for entry to Germany. After entering the country without a visa you must apply for a residence permit from the immigration authorities in Landshut.

China: Citizens of the People's Republic of China require a visa to enter Germany. Holders of SAR passports (passports issued by the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macau) are exempt from the visa requirement.

For more detailed information on other countries, please contact your relevant local consulate. You are strongly advised not to apply for a tourist visa! 

Documents that are usually required:

  • valid passport
  • admission letter
  • proof of travel medical insurance
  • proof of means of subsistence (blocked account, scholarship/grant etc.)
  • possibly proof of knowledge of the German language

Please contact the relevant German embassy local to your place of residence for more information on the precise visa application process. 

Registration with the immigration authorities in Landshut must take place immediately upon arrival. The International Office will be pleased to be of assistance.

Admission and Documentation

The International Office supports foreign students in seeking admission to study at Landshut University of Applied Sciences. 

If you have questions regarding the recognition of qualifications and performance records obtained by you at our university, then please contact the responsible professors in your faculty.

Documents required for enrollment

  • Passport (non-EU students) or personal identity card (EU students)
  • Proof of health insurance 
  • Proof of language skills (B2/C1 level)
  • Receipt for payment of student welfare service fee (€72.00)
  • Proof of 6-week pre-study internship
  • 2 passport photographs 

Enrolment takes place in about the 2nd / 3rd week in  September

Documents required for the residents' registration office

  • Passport (non-EU students) or personal identity card (EU students)
  • Student identity card or certificate of enrolment
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Tenancy agreement
  • If internship is to follow: 6 month certificate (required for issuing an income tax card)

Documents required for the immigration authorities (only applies to non-EU students)

  • Application for issuing of a residence permit or existing visa
  • Passport (original + copy)
  • Biometric photo
  • Student identity card / certificate of enrolment
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Proof of means of subsistence (blocked account, scholarship/grant etc.)

In the case of a residence permit for up to one year, fees amounting to €100 should be anticipated.

Documents required for visits to the doctor

EU students:

  • European Health Insurance Card

Non-EU students:

  • German health insurance: insurance card will suffice
  • Foreign health insurance for Germany: check with the relevant insurance company regarding the formalities

Application and Documentation


Application and documentation check list

Admission period

Summer semester (15.03.)        15.11. – 15.01.
Winter semester (01.10.)           22.04. – 15.07.

Applications have to be directed to the university. (1. online-portal / 2. papers by post)

Before application

  • Pre-check of certificates: Uni-assist e.V. (
  • Processing fee: € 75.00
  • Result: preliminary review documentation (VDP)

Evaluation of qualification at university

Required documents:

  • Application form ("Antrag auf Zulassung")
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Preliminary review documentation (VDP) uni-assist
  • Secondary school leaving certificate
  • If applicable: transcript of studies / degree certificate
  • If applicable: confirmations of practical / work experience [Required pre-placement: 6 weeks (Computer Science: none)]
  • German language certificate (required level for Bachelors´ programs: B2, for Masters´programs: C1)


No Admission fees, no study fees, student union fees € 72.00 / semester (entitles you to free bus travel in Landshut)


Judith Maier, Internationa Relations Officer

Post: Am Lurzenhof 1
, 84036 Landshut
Office: SC 102, Schönaustr. 36
, 84036 Landshut
84036 Landshut, Germany

Phone: +49 - (0)871 - 506 109

Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam

Instead of having your qualifications checked by uni-assist in Germany, it will be necessary to have your documentation checked by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle (APS)) at the German Embassy in the relevant country.

Language Certificate

For admission to the University of Applied Sciences Landshut on a

  • Bachelor's degree course, proof of knowledge of the German language at level B2 or above and a total score of 3.75 or above (Common European Framework of Reference)

  • Master's degree course, proof of knowledge of the German language at level C1 or above and a total score of 3.75 (Common European Framework of Reference) must be provided.

Landshut University of Applied Sciences recognises the following certificates/forms of proof: Sprachnachweise Deutsch

If you fulfil the requirements but want to improve your German, you can visit one of our course-related German language courses.

Useful links concerning admission

General information
International applicants:
Practical prerequisites:




Student Accommodation in Landshut