Visa and residence permit

Visa procedures for international students

Once you have received the Admission Letter from the Landshut University of Applied Sciences, you can apply for a student visa at the respective German embassy.

Usually required documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Approval / Admission letter
  • Proof of travel health insurance
  • Proof of livelihood security (blocked account, scholarship etc.)
  • Possibly proof German language skills

Please enquire about the exact procedure of the visa process at the respective German embassy near your place of residence.

The registration at the immigration registration office in Landshut must be realized immediately after entering Germany. The International Office can offer advice.


Citizens of the United States of America (including American Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico) do not need a visa to enter the country. A residence permit can and must be applied for at the Foreigners' Office in Landshut after visa-free entry. Important: please apply for the opening of the blocked account from the USA (very time-consuming)!

Citizens of the PR China need a visa to enter Germany. Holders of SAR passports (passports of the special administrative regions Hong Kong and Macau) are exempt from the visa requirement.


Difference between visa and residence permit

A visa is a permission to enter Germany. It is issued by German embassies and consulates all over the world. If you intend to stay in Germany for more than 90 days to study or work, you must apply for the correct visa. The visa is always derived from the purpose of the stay (student visa §16).

More information on whether you need a visa for entry can be found on this Webpage.

A residence permit is the permission to stay in Germany for a specific purpose. This permit is issued by the local immigration authorities and must be applied for within 90 days of entry.
An extension of the residence permit should be applied for at least one month before its expiry. If the purpose of the stay or the place of residence in Germany changes, a change in the residence title must also be applied for.

For more detailed information and information on other countries, please contact the respective consulate in your area. Please don´t stay in the country with a tourist visa!