Insurance coverage abroad/ Information on arrival



DAAD Insurance for Germans Abroad

For interns, students, academics and their partners and children of Members of German universities who

  • are doing an internship abroad or
  • are studying or doing a doctorate abroad or
  • are teaching or researching abroad


  • receive funding from DAAD programmes (e.g. PROMOS) or
  • receive funding from European Union programmes (e.g. Erasmus+), or
  • or are placed and supervised by a member university or partner organization of the DAAD

have the opportunity to participate in a group insurance policy at very favorable conditions, which includes health insurance, private liability and accident insurance and covers benefits that are often excluded by private insurance policies. More information here.

Private foreign (supplementary) insurance - what to consider when choosing your insurance:

There are numerous providers for supplementary foreign insurance, health insurance abroad, special foreign insurance for students on a semester abroad or internship abroad.

The fees are often very different. They also vary from insurance company to insurance company with the duration of the contract and the age of the policyholder.

Almost always, the policy states that outpatient treatment by a doctor, medically prescribed medication, painkilling dental treatment, medically prescribed aids after an accident, etc. will be covered. Nevertheless, the differences in the small print are very great. In addition to the advertised contractual benefits, everyone should also inform themselves about the benefit limits and exclusions.


The Erasmus+ programme is no longer an EU-only programme. Students of all nationalities can participate in the programme (provided they are fully enrolled in a degree programme at the sending university). And there are countries participating in the Erasmus+ programme that are not members of the European Union, some of them not even EFTA or Schengen countries. So the question of whether students need a visa for an Erasmus+ stay to study at an Erasmus+ partner university depends on both the nationality of the individual Erasmus+ student and the status of the host country.

  • more information on entry for EU and non-EU nationals can be found here.
  • once you have arrived in the host country, you will usually need to complete certain registration    formalities,most of which also apply to EU citizens in EU countries (e.g. registering your place of residence, applying for a residence permit). Information on this can be obtained from the host universities.