Insurance Coverage Abroad/ Information on Arrival


Visa for ERASMUS+ internships in the United Kingdom

All Erasmus+ participants coming to the UK on a traineeship or as a volunteer through European Voluntary Service (EVS) must have a visa under T5, Temporary Worker, Government Authorised Exchange under the UK Visas and Immigration points-based system in order to take up their Erasmus+ placement/opportunity in the UK.


International insurance and entry

Private (supplementary) insurance abroad - what you should consider when choosing your insurance:

There are numerous providers for supplementary foreign insurance, health insurance abroad, special foreign insurance for students on a semester abroad or internship abroad. Fees are often very different. Duration of the contract and age of the policyholderhey also vary from insurance company to insurance company.

Usually the policy states that outpatient treatment by a doctor, medically prescribed medication, painkilling dental treatment, medically prescribed aids after an accident, etc. will be covered. Nevertheless, the differences are enormous. In addition to the advertised contractual benefits, everyone should also inform themselves about real benefits, limits and exclusions.

DAAD Insurance for Germans Abroad

Interns, students, academics and their life partners and children of members of German universities who

  • are doing an internship abroad or
  • are studying or doing a doctorate abroad or
  • are teaching or researching abroad


  • receive funding from DAAD programmes (e.g. PROMOS), or
  • receive funding from European Union programmes (e.g. Erasmus+), or
  • are placed and supervised by a partner organisation of the DAAD

have the opportunity to participate in a group insurance policy at very favourable conditions, which includes health insurance, private liability and accident insurance and covers benefits that are often excluded by private insurance policies. More information here.



 Please note

  • Information on entry for EU and non-EU citizens is available here.
  • A Temporary Worker-Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5) is required for trainees to stay in the UK under the Erasmus+ programme. More information on visa requirements for the UK find here.
  • After arrival in the host country, there are usually certain registration formalities to be observed, most of which also affect EU citizens in EU countries (e.g. registration of residence, application for a residence permit). Information on this can be obtained from the host universities.